Friday, April 14, 2006

Deadlines make you write! Who woulda thunk?

I went out with a couple of friends of mine last night, all of us celebrating in our way. I was celebrating my new sales, A was celebrating having finally sent off submissions to agents and editors and J was celebrating her impending college graduation.

I love these two. They've seen me at my very worst. They've seen me immediately after I wake up, before coffee or anything. It's not pretty and yet they still talk to me. And now they get to see me when I'm pretty high. We've all made journeys and it's nice to have friends to share them with.

In the course of conversation, they asked how I'd been spending my spring break (this past week!) and I cheerfully replied, "Writing!"

Which made A pause for a moment then grin quite a lot. I've spent the last eighteen months or so not writing much. So for me to be writing and excited about writing is a big change. Which she commented on.

And I replied, "I have deadlines to meet! I don't have a choice!"

Which is true, though my deadlines aren't precise. They're still there, though. People are expecting writing from me. This means I can't afford to have days where I just don't feel like writing. And that, for me, is a very good thing.

No comments: