Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Agent anxiety?

I dreamt, last night, that I was a part of some publishing workshop devoted to learning about and pitching to an agent. The bulk of the day was spent with twenty or so other would-be clients, and we talked to and questioned the Big Name Agent's assistant.

She was blunt and occasionally surprised at the depth of our lack of knowledge, but she wasn't rude. Disdainful once or twice, but not particularly rude, anyway. She was also apparently a hologram (I did say it was a dream!).

We then hiked for a mile or so to get to another building, where the "real" assistant came to help us work on our pitches. Most people were told they couldn't pitch because the agency didn't handle that sort of material and/or it wouldn't sell. When I summoned up the courage to talk, I shrugged and said "well, I write paranormal romance, urban fantasy and fantasy (which I do!)".

You'd think I said I laid golden eggs. Everyone in the room was immediately amused and impressed (dream!) and the assistant picked me and another girl who--I don't remember what she said--to pitch.

Turns out I *knew* the agent. (He looked remarkably like Mr. Fox, one of my high school orchestra conductors). After a few moments conversation (during which I did not really pitch), he said, "I don't think you can do it." He paused. Then added, "But I'm going to give you the chance to prove me wrong."

Agent anxiety. Who knew?

No comments: