Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Spared!

You are all spared more rambling about FanLit. Well, sort of. I didn't final in this week's round but Jacqueline did! So if you have an account, go vote on the finalists and help her earn her place in the fishbowl head hall of fame.

Congratulations to Mary and Sara and Tessa too, of course, but I don't have links for them.

So I sulked a bit, and then got kicked in the butt and told to work on my proposal already comma dammit, so that's what I'm going to do and -- crud, I forgot to do my group blog post today. Must think of something.

We had our first rain last night, which means it's officially fall in California. I wish I lived a little further north so we actually got snow, but The Engineer says that my childhood love of snow would not hold up as an adult.

He's a California native, what does he know? ;)

1 comment:

Jackie Barbosa said...

Thanks for the plug, Sara! I'm delighted and surprised to have finaled. But then, I'm always surprised by what finals and what doesn't. I always like all the finalists, but they're not always my favorites.

I keep saying "It was the title, damnit! The same story with a different title would not have finaled." And I really believe it's true. Not knocking the story, mind you, just saying the title got it the page views it needed to survive in the dirty world of FanLit.

Whether I get my fishbowl head or not (and I sincerely doubt I will!), I'm hoping I can control myself and sit out the next two rounds. I know, I've kind of sort of promised a holodeck parody, and I may make an attempt, but, like you and Lacey and Lynne, I really need to get cracking on my manuscript.

Why is FanLit so addictive? I think, for me, it's the instant gratification. You put it out there and "wham", you find out what people think. A LOT of people. Even if it's bad feedback, it's so immediate, it's hard not to keep coming back for more. Most of the feedback we get as writers, even from a critique partners, comes much more slowly and less often.

Hmmmm, I may have to blog this thought. Tomorrow, lunchtime?