Saturday, August 26, 2006

Observations from this side of the screen.

So, now that I've been doing this whole writing and selling (!) thing, I've made a couple of observations. Possibly more than that, but one that I can put into coherent thought at the moment.

With the current focus on writing hot, it seems to me that books that are not "hot" have a hard time getting noticed, at least in the ebook world. I understand that this was the medium where the more erotic books got their start, and as such, it's where people go to look for quick, hot reads first. There are entire review sites that are dedicated to erotic romance.

But what about those of us who are writing "standard" heat level books? Or sweet, closed door books? We want to sell our books as much as anyone else. We want reviews and buzz and compliments on our writing too. But in trying to do promotion for my books, I've noticed that, unless there's something explicit in an excerpt, posting to mailing lists gets very little, if any, response. I've noticed that books without the higher heat ratings tend to get fewer reviews. I don't know if this happens with print books as well, seeing as I don't have any yet. Maybe it's just the climate at the moment.

But I'd like my fair shot, you know? I'm sure my fellow non-erotic authors would as well. To that end, I'm going to try to start doing reviews of these books. If you know of, or are, an author that writes at this heat level and you'd like to have your book reviewed, feel free to contact me (sara @ saradennis.com).

There are a few caveats:

1. I have a busy writing schedule and I have a busy school schedule. I am only one person and I have deadlines. :) I must also So I'll be doing one book a week AT MOST. It may be every two weeks.

2. No inspirational fiction. I don't have anything against inspirational romance, but I don't read it, so I'm not the right person to give you a critique. Anything else is fair game.

3. There will be a seperate journal for this. I will post a link when I get it set up.

4. Any reviews will be purely my opinion. I will not attack authors. My critiques will be of the writing, plot, characters, etc. only.

So that's the plan. I may be insane, but at least I admit it.

3 comments:

Nonny Blackthorne said...

Awesome idea, Sara. :)

A Passion Draconic, my book accepted by Liquid Silver, is definitely erotic romance, but both Waking the Shadows and The Twilight Deception are more mainstream paranormal romantic suspense. It's not that there's no sex -- there is -- but it's not the driving focus of the work.

Again, very cool idea.

Jennah said...

Good luck with this Sara. Great idea!

Shelli Stevens said...

That's a great idea, Sara! Good luck and I hope you get swarmed with books! Not too many so you can't handle them though ;)