Thursday, June 01, 2006

Word geeking.

I'm a word geek. My parents are to blame, as they were both college professors, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still a geek.

At 12, when I had decidedly less money than I do now, I discovered Shakespeare. And wanted copies. Couldn't afford them, but notebooks were cheap. I *hand copied* every single play into spiral notebooks. I didn't do the footnotes. But the plays? You betcha. Which probably explains my love for the works now. My mother claims I must have been Shakespeare. Me, I think I was just a geek.

My mother also, upon reading a very old manuscript of mine, said: "You do love words, don't you?" She didn't mean it in a bad way. She didn't mean it in a good way, either.

Which is all a lengthy (see? word <3!) way of saying:

I've just discovered that there's only a single letter's difference between defiant and deviant.

I find that very profound.

(And yes, it took me this long to get that. *Really* get that.)

Stop staring. It's not polite.

2 comments:

jennyowl said...

Wow, I admire your perserverance. Did your hands suffer from copying all those plays? My middle finger is wee thicker from long hours of pressing my pencil/pen against one particular spot.

I did a lot of borrowing from the library when I was young as we couldn't afford to buy. There were a couple I like so much that I begged my mom to let me photocopy it.

Emmy Ellis said...

LOL @ stop staring.

I didn't stare, I frowned! I'm always amazed by the different things that strike different people. It's so lovely that we are all different.

:o)